Wednesday 1 February 2012

Leopard Nail Art

I have had acrylics on for almost 10 years now (I know, I know! I should definitely try and grow them naturally but I just love the feel of fake talons!) My friend Zoe does my acrylic, she uses no electric drills and so on the odd time I have taken them off, my nails have been in great condition thankfully!

So usually Zoe will just do my acrylics, and I then do some nail art over the top as I just get too bored looking at the same colour for a fortnight.

This is my first attempt at leopard print nail art. I have admired other peoples before and always thought it looks far too complicated! However, I was surprised at how fast I did manage to actually complete it.

So these were the varnishes I used:

L-R -
No 7 Stay Perfect top coat, Models Own "Gold Digger", Models Own Nail Art pen, Topshop "Geography Teacher"

You can do this in any colour, but it is best to keep the lightest colour as your base. I started with Topshop "Georgraphy Teacher" which is a great neutral colour that I bought last week.


I used two coats of this colour to ensure I had a strong base. I then splodged on some of the "Gold Digger" shade, in random spots and shapes to get the uneven pattern of the leopard spots to look realistic. If I were to do the design again, I would use a slightly deeper gold or stronger colour to make it easier to see the spots.



Next I used my Models Own nail art pen, you can grab this in Boots and it is an amazing nail art pen... so easy to use and really my secret weapon with this design! The varnish flows out really easily ensuring you can use it with both hands (that is always my fear with nail art... that I will have a dodgy right hand that doesn't match!) I just did some unusual shapes around some of the gold shapes (don't circle them completely) and also some additional spots and squiggles with the black.

I then just glossed over the design with top coat. No 7 is a great top coat (and cheap, which is great as I get through so many bottles of clear top coat) however I am looking to invest into some Seche Vite as I have heard such amazing reviews! I am really happy with this manicure, especially after knowing how easy it was with the nail art pen! Definitely one to do again, and I may try with light and bold coral colours next time.
Sorry for the  flashed out photos, this is my first post and the first time using my new camera! I need to find a new spot with better natural light I think!
N x

No comments:

Post a Comment